Types of Serbian Souvenirs
In Serbia you can get 3 types of Souvenirs. Nationalistic, Traditional and Funky ones. Isnt that interesting? Nationalistic are related to Serbian Leaders and Presidents. You can find anything from Serbian Kings, Communist, Liberals and Cetniks. What ever you believe in there will be your idol on T-shirt or in a photo frame. Traditional and Funky are ones that most of the tourists go for. Traditional are related to the History and Serbian culture. There are plenty interesting Traditional souvenirs that you can find. We will share ideas of the most unique ones in this article. Funky ones are our favourite. They been designed by young Serbian individuals and represent our country on the Creative and Lovely way.
Serbian Souvenirs are quite unique. You will find some really interesting things out there. Make sure not to get a random thing. Go for something that will stay in the memory for ever. If you want to buy a shirt or cup then this article is not something you might find interesting. There are so much creativity out there. In this article we will share what we think that would be a perfect Serbian Souvenir.
What are the best gifts from Belgrade?
So whats are the gifts from that you can get in Belgrade that will leave your friends back home speechless. Whats a Unique Present from Belgrade? If you do not know Belgrade well then It might be a most difficult question to answer. One extraordinary gift to a friend back home will tell alot about your relationship with them. There are some interesting things in the strict centre in the main pedestrian zone and the Belgrade fortress area. There are many small shop boards with a hand made articles such as: stiffened dream catchers, bags with rural embroider ornaments, original Serbian teas, cure elixirs made of our plants, and many more extraordinary and unique things. Choose Wisely.
Facts about Serbian Souvenirs
Souvenirs represent a nation. Represent Religion and History. Sometimes even Politics like in Serbia. So you can find framed photos of Historical Serbian Leaders. These Souvenirs are not so interesting for foreigners though. There are Nationalistic Souvenirs that are mostly sold to Serbian Diaspora. Serbian Souvenirs that most of you will like are those that are not related to Politics and Religion. Keep reading to get some cool ideas.
What to bring back from Serbia?
There are some Serbian Souvenirs that are quite interesting indeed. If you are looking at the right place Serbia can be promise land when it comes to the unique items. At the right place you can find plenty of them! If you are not a type of a person who just want to buy a T-shirt with a national amble, or just a bag which says “Serbia” here is a list of the best and most unique souvenirs from Serbia:
- Cokanjce of Rakija – Authentic and original, glass like cup from which is tradition to drink Rakija ( Serbian national beverage). Small and perfect for your bag, can be filled with different types of Rakija – but for your trip home, we suggest the most popular one, Sljivovica! Made of plums, this strong beverage as our people like to say “instantly raise from the dead”.
- Ajvar – one of the most famous and traditional Serbian foods for which we are really proud. For whom ever you intend this present to, you will make this person very happy! Ajvar is a pepper-based condiment of roasted or cooked peppers (made from red bell peppers), with a unique taste, and probably something you didn’t have chance to try ever!
- Ornament Jewellery – Beautifully hand made jewelry which you can find in any part of Serbia. A small peace of art which will last forever!
- Frula – also known as Svirala or Jedinka, is a musical instrument which resembles a medium sized flute, traditionally played in Serbia.
- Licider Heart – Probably the most beautiful souvenir you can find in Serbia. It has an engraved message, like “I love you”, “Best friend”, etc. If you buy this item, you wont regret it, people love this!
- Art Paintings – Done by people who live in rural parts of Serbia (mostly in Vojvodina), also called as “painters of pure hearts”.
- Amulets – Amulet is one of the stone objects found at the site of Lepenski Vir (6500-5500 BC). Named after the Danube whirl and was the seat of one of the most important and complex prehistoric cultures.
- Icons – religious work of art, can be painted with oil paints, on wood or canvas.
- Carved Pumpkin – Carved and painted pumpkins with details of raffia, hemp, skin and strings.
Traditional Serbian Gifts
Why not to get something funky or Something Traditional ? The most interesting Serbian Souvenirs? If you want to by an ultimate and most Traditional Serbian gifts, here are some ideas:
- Opanak – traditional peasant shoes worn in Serbia. The attributes of the Opanak are: a construction of leather, lack of laces, durable, and various ending on toes, but mostly with a horn like endings.
- Sajkaca– The Sajkaca is a traditional hat worn by men in the Serbian countryside. It is the national hat of Serbia and is believed to have originated in the Serbian region of Banat during the 18th century.
- Cilim From Pirot – traditional craft textile product from the area of Stara Planina, mainly from Pirot District. The main feature is that Pirot rug does not have 2 different sides, is exactly the same at both sides, which is unique thing in the world.
Our suggestion is not go into history presents. Get something funny and lovely. Something that will make person happy. You could consider bringing a BOOK back home. Not any book though. Ivo Andric is the winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature. He wrote the master peace. Book The Bridge on the Drina is womething you should consider reading yourself. This is the great gift! Maybe one of the most amazing Serbian Souvenirs that you can get.
Serbian literature is very interesting, especially from the writer Ivo Andric who got Nobel prize in 1961. for the novel “Na Drini cuprija” (translation: The bridge on the Drina). There are many great literature achievements, and you can find them in bookstores translated in English. There are quite a lot of great literature achievements, and you can find them in bookstores translated in English. If you need more info about Belgrade get in touch with us. We are on your service.
Good to know
Belgrade High Season stretch from Beginning of May till the end of the September. Belgrade in these months is the most beautiful. The most alive. Gardens are loaded with people from all over the world. Weather in these time is epic. Temperature goes from 25 – 32 celsius. People are friendly, helpful and City is very safe.